🧠 How transparency is an advantage

Purpose: Increase the level of transparency of the organizations to enable more and better interactions

Public reporting is usually attributed to big public companies, like Apple or P&G, or charities. They use funds from wide communities and therefore become responsible to them. Something similar happens now in the blockchain space, as teams rely heavily on the community.

Being transparent helps a lot in building relationships and can help many smaller organizations (even outside of blockchain industry). This is a brief guide on transparency with the comments from industry leaders on the topic. Here we’ll try to review and advise on the transparency policy from the perspective of the founders of the community-driven projects and organizations.

Why important + motivation

A community can be a prime source of funding, adoption, advocacy etc. Building transparent relations with it is essential. Transparency provides the next benefits:

• Provides trust, that decreases transactional costs
  • Adds discipline to track the path
  • Everybody is on the same page (understanding right > acting right)
  • Gets you feedback on improvement and support/recognition

Things you can make transparent

• Strategy: vision, goals & metrics, priorities=
  • Governance: org structure, roles descriptions, appointments
  • Financial: revenue & budget (e.g. quarterly)
  • Operations: KPIs, updates

How you do that: Tips & Examples

It can take a form of knowledge base folder, monthly article or chat channel (see https://aragon.chat/channel/check-in). Everything on the internet is the request for comment, so ask for feedback and comments. Overall you can start by adopting a minimal transparency policy and extending/changing it gradually as you learn. E.g. preparing a quality report can be time-consuming, starting with something simpler & less frequent is a more lean way to go.

It is almost funny to talk about “transparency” when we talk about a “community project”. Who is being transparent to whom? If the project belongs to the community, doesn’t it go without saying that the community should have access to all information about the project? In what way would it make sense for there to be some community members have access to information that others don’t have access to?

1 Like

Another benefit is it reduces opportunity for corruption within a large organization.

I have heard of it referred to as “Glasshouse Society”, where everything is transparent (can’t find any references at the moment but I believe there was a philosophy paper written on it many decades ago).

I am working towards a community project where everything that can be public is public with the goal of improving self-governance.

1 Like

Thanks Grace! Are those questions to me?
I imaging doing some work towards making surrounding org more transparent. Do you see something in dgov foundation to be improved as well?

Oh cool, could you share more about your project please?

I think those questions are to anyone, but in the context of dGov, I would say they are particularly interesting. Is there a dGov Foundation? Is that a legal entity? Who does it belong to? Who is a member? How do you get to be a member? Until now, I think dGov has been an informal collective of people, and there is a kind of manifesto (created by an oligarchy, presumably, not by the collective – I don’t know). As someone who is active in dGov, I am not aware of how the governance works, and there does not seem to be any formal way the governance structures are made public to the participants in the network. There are surveys that come from… somewhere? someone? There are events that are organized by a group of people, but the “members” don’t know how that group gets selected, or what the qualifications would be to get into that group or be voted to the top or voted out of that group. So, yeah, great question to ask dGov. Who is it that is being transparent and who is it that they are being transparent to? I actually do not know the answer to that question.

2 Likes

More suitable in the Introduction forum, so replied there about myself/project

1 Like

Hi Grace,
i’ve tried to collect the answers to your questions here: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is it satisfying? What’s missing?

Looks fine to me. You have an organization with 6 members. The issue of transparency is irrelevant because you only have 6 people. The first part of the mission of the organization is to “Create meaningful connections and shared agency” among members. That seems easy with 6 members. The other part of the mission is “Shaping the future of networks”. I’m kind of unclear about what networks are being referred to in this mission statement, but I guess that in the context of the mission, if there are only 6 people who want to shape the future of networks, then you want to be subversive. I’m not sure transparency will serve you in that mission.

1 Like

Yeah, dgov foundation (6 people) is created to steward the network / community (~500 people), but there’re other organizations who do the same. E.g. organizing the events or initiatives. We have our strategy and tactical meetings open if somebody needs to know what we do. Btw even with 6 people not everybody has the same info.

My broader intention was about creating some transparency inspiration, guide etc for other organizations. So we can find out where we can collaborate, avoid overlaps etc. Also knowing how decisions are made and how to influence them.

Who you can name as the best organization transparency wise?