🦴 Better Funding Platform for Public Projects (Giveth 2.0)

Current challenges:

• Most pulic projects get funding through donations or grant programs, which are slow/inefficient/intrasparent (piece on that)
  • Also, there’re barriers for international collaboration (developing countries have hard times accessing funding)
  • DAOs bridge the gap with more efficient decision making – can take less than 2 weeks to get funds and more or less straightforward process (e.g. Giveth, Moloch – both manage over $1M)
  • Though they have low usability – need wETH, DAI, complex contracts, lack of user testing etc
  • DAO’s lack the funding strategy, are relying on proposals rather than invitations
  • DAO’s Platform development is limited by non-profit model and reliance on grants, which doesn’t allow efficient ecosystem development

Ideas/Solutions/Features

• Social entrepreneurship
  • Impact Investment
  • Rational Altruism (being good is paying)
  • Connect existing DAOs as fundie’s bodies (Aragon, DAO Stack, Moloch)
  • Minimum viable return for professional investment funding
  • Lend available funds through systems like Compound or Uniswap
  • Support and manage grant programs on paid basis
  • Distributed Governance & Collective Intelligence for decision making
  • Focus on User Experience (+mobile first) – prio for fintech products
  • Bridging the gap with traditional finance via FIAT gateway (+commissions)
  • CLR / Radical Markets for domain funding
  • Microfinancing (like Grameen)
  • Subscription models and perks for charity
  • Analytical tools
  • Community management integration (e.g. contact with all funders)
  • Educate and promote projects on the platform
  • Public and transparent reporting
  • Good Accounting tools (financial + Open Value Network contributions)

Stakeholders

1. Impact investors (e.g. Nordic Fintech)
  2. NGO’s and public projects
  3. DAOs platforms: Aragon, DAO Stack, Moloch
  4. Financial providers

Potential Funders

• Corporate Social Responsibility programs (+ check The Mondragon Corporation)
  • Big grant bodies like EU 2020
  • Asian Investors
  • Funding agents (+%)

Potential Projects

• Integration with all current DAOs (Aragon, DAO Stack, Moloch)
  • Current Giveth projects (camp Decentral)
  • Hackathons
  • International Research Projects (+Wikipedia?)
  • Coops like Guerilla Translation
  • Jordan Peterson case

Product Development

• Design thinking approach for development
  • upvest – non custodial customizable wallet
  • Lean Development
  • Application-specific user contract wallets
  • Counterfactual deployment of smart contracts
  • Meta transactions

Existing projects:

Useful Links

Some feedback fomr @pETH from the chat:

Each point makes sense by itself, but the whole thing is kind of all over the place
It’s hard to tell what the flaws are when the goal is not clear; You say you’re planning a product, but there are multiple project ideas suggested…

Don’t know how can I help

Here’s this, though: https://groundhog.network/
Patreon style funding, but doesn’t require using their page to host

[In reply to Grace Rachmany]
:100:, but even simple things like “tweets as crowdfunds” would help a lot…
So I think it’s more about making things easier to see/fund than changing the mindset

But we’re trying to build a sort of digital-first state with MetaCartel + DAOHaus +a bunch of other projects…

Simply building better interfaces and feedback loops between existing organisations and people

I’ll still leave this here for higher visibility:

The problem is not a “product” problem. There is a systemic issue around what we consider as the function of money. The current financial systems, including the cryptocurrency systems, all run inside the current rule-set of for profit/non profit, where for-profit is generally participation in an exploitative/extraction economy.

No matter what you build on top of the exploitative definition of money will end up falling, in some way, into the category of profit/non-profit. When you are talking specifically about code, then you are talking about a small group of people who are highly dependent on the mercantile form of fiat money. Coders depend on the current fiat system for food, water, housing, electricity and connectivity. From that perspective, all of these ideas are missing a fundamental component for creating a sustainable ecosystem. When people are contributing inside a system that does not “value” contribution in any way, you will always run out of “money.”

The project definition talks about “public projects”. Most public projects get funding through government. Government gets money through taxes. I would say that in some way, the product that Max is proposing points at creating a new “country” with its own taxation system. The main question in that case would be how we envision self-sustainability for these basic needs.

1 Like

Feedback from @GriffGreen
yeah, if nothing else, using compound for the DAI held would be interesting
and simple if added in from scratch
yeah i think the way forward is to start from scratch with these requirements
if we want to keep the liquid pledging contracts we can…
but we can get a bit challenged by gas issues on mainnet
if we want to do a mainnet deployment, we would need to scrap those contracts and let the DAOs be DACs and be leaner on the Smart Contract side
altho… honestly i just wish everyone would deploy daos to xdai!

Hello
My name is Obinna Okenze. I come from a community in Nigeria that has been fighting for political survival since before i was born.
A lot of new ways of governance has been proposed, but nothing is as exciting as the possibility i see with Dgov.
But the issue is i am just ideas without technical or financial ability to help.

I am a member of an Organization called The Indigenous People of Biafra or IPOB. Who are at the forefront of the quest for self determination in Nigeria. We could so much benefit from this project. But first will require educating on the workings of the technology and how to apply it.

I want to learn as much as possible to at least be able to teach others the importance of joining this ideas.

I want to be part of this project, i want to help in anyway i can.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi Grace. Agree with your point about the underlying and systemic economic problem. But perhaps coexistence with fisc currencies is possible? Reciprocal exchange systems can sometimes work well, although they tend to be isolated and not to reach sufficient scale, or fizzle out. There’s some hope that Credit Commons initiatives will succeed in linking them and bring the critical mass that would, in the right geographical, social and legal context, make them a viable alternative to mainstream fiat. (See Tom Greco et al). Others (the Modern Monetary Theory crew) reject the view that fiat ‘taxes fund spending’ … there is no need for ‘balancing the budget’ with the few rich forcing deflationary pain on the many poor if you are the sovereign and independent issuer of a currency.
So maybe there is some patching up and better, more inclusive governance possible in the existing fisc system. Otherwise, credit commons networks, especially networks of city exchanges, might coexist well within a better regulated and smaller fiat money system. It would need something another Bretton Woods conference agreement (unlikely in current political climate!)… .or another global ‘reset’… a climate crisis, revolution or war to destroy the huge amounts of excess capital that are the blockers to so much real change. Ironically, a chunk of that excess capital fuels much of the naked greed in crypto markets and projects. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ahh, if we could just connect these together…

Hmm, land may be part of the fulcrum we seek.

Imagine we issue NFT ▦, each representing a unique 1_ft² of real land (Token as Title) that can only be purchased (can only change owners) through the completion of “work agreements” (looking for a better term here - this needs to be a socially binding commitment to achieve future work).

Imagine another Semi-Fungible-Token :tickets: representing a projected future product (Token as Ticket).

Issue and Auction :tickets: to buy the raw land and tools and other ingredients required to own and control the production we need.

In this way we might achieve better funding for public projects through private cities controlled by those citizen-owners using a direct-funding model to replace most of the usual tax+vote routine.

1 Like

Coexistence is necessary. It is reasonable to think that we are going through an evolutionary transition. My personal leaning is towards finding ways of “Commoning” and working together better. We are talking here about opensource, that is, commons. A lot of profound work has been done on the economics of commons. When discussing sustainability of common goods, it’s more appropriate to understand Commoning than business value. http://www.bollier.org/new-to-the-commons.

Making everything profitable and fungible naturally erodes certain values (anything we don’t measure with money). It seems that Holohain’s approach to multiple currencies (current-sees) is appropriate. It simply is not appropriate to measure everything in fungible ways and continue to pretend that accumulating fungible money is an important human value we must retain in our societies. When everything has fungible value, human values erode.

In any case, no matter what you think the solution is for these problems, you are partially correct and partially incorrect (me too). It’s important that we are all working on different approaches.

1 Like

Personally, I find the idea of private ownership of every piece of land a bit unappealing. Many of our current problems stem from the idea that land should be maximized for its financial value. I think by creating collaborative projects with sustainable communities, we can go forward. Something like “if you live in our community, we will provide you your basic needs and you can program all you want.” Obviously, it would be a bit more nuanced than that, but the resources on Commoning I mentioned are useful for looking at different models of being more gentle on our regenerative resources. http://www.bollier.org/new-to-the-commons

1 Like

Please take a look at the references I mentioned above. In Africa, there are many resources that can be leveraged to help people become more independent, when they are able to form new ways of banding together.

2 Likes

Confusingly, I agree completely :thinking:

I am proposing we own land to avoid paying financial value to others.

But who will own the land that community is built upon?

Will we be paying rent? Rent does not exist when owner is occupier.

If we do not own the land, whoever does own that land controls our destiny.

Just as the GNU GPL utilizes Copyright to create a synthetic commons for the immaterial world,

I believe we can utilize Property Rights to create a synthetic commons for the material world.

In this way we can stop begging the current owners and governments, and just do it on our (collective) own.

1 Like

Created a small presentation https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1v3HQ0kEmdGArMQTRrOeIR0_94wwNJhR0yREtSLcdbVY/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

Looks good, looking forward to hearing more about it!

1 Like

Good take, it’s probably through the creation of new usages for which a tax is embed in the transaction/usage. This new usage could implement a variation of the Harberger tax scheme to fund/allocate ressources to the unseizable value

1 Like